My friend Mak wrote a post asking ‘what about the menz’.
This followed a Twitter exchange, which, should you be so inclined, you can read about on his blog post linked above.
The detail, for the purpose of this post, is not that relevant. The responses were.
Virtually all commenters talked about women making sexist comments and some compared that with black people making racist comments.
The myth that we live in a white capitalist patriarchal society is apparently now being taught in schools! Oh no! Truth at last? Doubt it.
Now. At the risk of being very basic, let’s do this simply. Because it seems some messages are not being well received. At best.
1) Women are not guilty of sexism against men. It is an impossibility.
2) Similarly, white people are not guilty of racism against black people.
The basis for these two comments is that, contrary to the belief of some, women and black people are varyingly oppressed by men, and white people. The weaker group can not display power eg sexism/racism towards the stronger one. It’s a non sequitur.
Just to remind you, the hierarchy of power is simple:
- White men
- Black men
- White women
- Black women
We can add class, poverty/wealth/education blah blah to that, but this is a post, primarily, about sexism.
Now, a few other basics:
3) People who say they support equal rights for men and women are not feminists. Full stop. End of story. Which feminism manual did you read?
4) Men who say they are feminist have also not read the right manual. Feminists are women. Male allies are welcome.
5) Anyone who thinks pornography and prostitution is empowering for women hasn’t seen the dead prostitute wheeled out of the building next door after a heroin overdose.
6) People who say the gender pay gap has closed are
7) Men and women are born with certain biological traits. Someone thinking they feel like being a woman does not make them a woman. Women do not need men pretending to be women to tell them about feminism. Or how to be a woman.
Now, in similar news, Dead Wild Roses reposted an interesting conversation about radical feminists and biological essentialism.
Again, the comments were interesting. From men. Of course.
Were women with a tipped bladder aliens?
No, says another well-informed male about women’s bladders. It isn’t true, but they can prolapse.
We loves it! We loves the Mansplaining!
Even more, we get detail about weakened muscles holding up the bladder causing the prolapse.
Wow! Thank you so much.
None of us little women are capable of working out that tipped bladder is a lay term, similar to how bowel cancer is often used instead of the more clinical colorectal cancer.
Thank you to Teh Menz for your humour and your inaccurate grossly patronising explanations about women’s organs. And you wonder why we get pissed off? Seriously?
NB to Arb, I note you pointed out the usage of tipped as colloquial usage.
But as a finale, on the subject of tipped pelvic organs, for anyone who wants to read about a tipped (tilted) uterus. Here you go. It can render a woman a sexual cripple.
Fortunately, correction is fairly simple, and effective.
Phew. Wouldn’t want to disappoint Teh Menz with our sexual availability would we?
Sexual cripple? Really?